Bettah Bettas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bettah Bettas

A place to learn about bettas and share your finned friends.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Water logged

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cajunamy
cajunamy

Water logged Empty
PostSubject: Water logged   Water logged EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 5:59 pm

Going to keep a record of my water issues here.

I lost at least 10 fish in the last 2 weeks. Half from my sorority tank. I thought in the sorority tank that it was aggression, so I tore it down, bought a white tiger Oscar, jarred females I wanted to keep, sold 5, 5 or so set aside for Jackie, the rest were culled.

Then I lost 2 in a divided 15 gallon after I moved all my tanks from the back of my kitchen, to a fish room. There were 2 tanks that I 100% drained - the 15 gallon and a 10 gallon. The 15 gallon held my favorite HM, both were lost. I thought perhaps I forgot to add prime, b/c death was so quick. Then I lost 2 in the 10 gallon - and I know I put prime in that one. 1 fish is floating, one is all out missing. So I decided to test my ph.

Normally my ph is 8.0-8.2. I add IAL to lower to about 7.8 and leave it be. I never acclimate fish from my water to my water. When I tested the water, it was off the charts of the high range ph, which goes to 8.8. So my guess is that the ph is 9.0 give or take a point or 2.

Because of this, I broke out the R/O unit again. I fully expected the water to come out at 6.0, so in anticipation I added R/O Right (which needs to go in anyway) and also a buffer that my local shop sold me that buffers to 8.3. This is what my fish are used to anyway, and I can always lower the dose. I purchased a 30 gallon trash can to hold the R/O water. Buffer said to add 2 tsp (this might be wrong, but I added what was listed on the bottle) to 20 gallons to achieve 8.3 ph. I added the 2 tsp into the 30 gallon, figuring the ph would probably settle in around 8.

I finally got to testing the water today, and the water in the can is 8.8 >:C Measured out of the R/O line, and it's coming out at 7.0. So, apparently I don't need ANY buffers.

2/13 - I tested my 37 gal and 55 gal for ph, as they needed topping up. 37 read at 8.0 and 55 read at 7.8. I added in the 8.8 ph water just to top off - in the 37 gal that was 2 gallons, and in the 55 that was 6 gallons. I am pumping more R/O water to replace the 8 gallons that was taken out, to try to accomplish lowering the PH in the can so I can get water changes done in the betta tanks. Tonight the plan is to add in prime to all the betta tanks as they are due for water changes, until I can get at least 8.4 or less in the can. I also added a water onion and an amazon sword to the planted 37 gallon. I really need more plants in there.
Back to top Go down
http://cajunbettafish.wordpress.com
cajunamy
cajunamy

Water logged Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water logged   Water logged EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 6:54 pm

2/14: tested the water in the can after pumping about 10-15 gallons into it and it's still reading off the charts. I hate to drain all that water and start over cause it takes a day or 2 to fill. But I may have to do that to get a reading that is actually on the chart. I didn't add any additives when I pumped that new water.
Back to top Go down
http://cajunbettafish.wordpress.com

Water logged
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bettah Bettas :: Betta Care :: Tank Care-
Jump to: